Perspectives from a Mediator/Arbitrator

Monday, September 22, 2008

Why no blogging Steve?

I have been asked this question over and over again. I thought I would try to answer it. There are a couple of things stopping me from blogging. The first is time. I do not seem to have any extra. From arbitrating or mediating almost every day to running a small business to being an active husband and father to trying to have a social life - there simply is not a lot of time for a lot of extra things. I have friends who I have been trying to see for 6 months. There just does not seem to be enough time in the day.

The second reason is perhaps more substantial and that is that I have found it hard to struggle between the things that I would like to say and the things that I am able to say. For instance, as a member of the Grievance Settlement Board, I am a "restricted public servant". In election periods, as we are having right now in Canada, I am significantly restricted in terms of what I can say and/or do. It is but one example of the restrictions that arbitrators face in having a "public opinion" and no opinion is more public than this one that goes out onto the internet and stays there forever.

I will try and post more often...

by the way - I can talk about the US election (I think). The most interesting race in our lifetime! Any idea when was the last time that neither the sitting president or vp was running for president? Let me know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home